When I glanced over the Contents, I'm not going to lie. The ones that stood out to me were the chapters about sex. I had never really understood the necessity of a sex scene, or a hinted at affair in a book, so I was intrigued by the fact that two whole chapters where dedicated to the explanation of it(in obvious cases, of course, I understood since it would lead to a climactic scene of lies unraveling, but I digresss.)
The keys in the bowl example was something I was not expecting at all. If I had read the story, I wouldn't have gotten the underlying meaning if the author had not laid it out before me. I would've completely overlooked the subtle innuendo and just thought she was very tempermental about her bowl.
I do admit, however, I'm still unclear how sex does not equal sex, and these more subtle scenes are 'sexier' than actual sex. It's not the typical a+b=c equation present in literature. It's a roundabout way to hint and let the reader's mind go wild, so the method is quite effective, and elusive to the younger readers. I did not expect to read this chapter with a type of scientific, mathematical mindset, as proven at in my a+b=c thought.
No comments:
Post a Comment